The Quintessential Chef

-Quintessential: Representing the most typical example of quality or class

I have been contemplating the attributes of an excellent chef ever since I started my culinary endeavour. From my experience, I think a good chef should truly care about his/her employees. Ultimately, you can only be as good as your team allows you to be. Your team will work more effectively if they trust and respect you as a person and not just a Chef. The customer always comes first, but focusing on the clientele alone can leave your staff in the dust. The kitchen is no place for a swollen ego. Unity is what ultimately makes or breaks a kitchen.

For me, I am always trying to implement what I learn from my chef into my own character. I don't just think about how much money I want to make one day, or how popular I want my restaurant to be; I think about how my character will define my success, and everything I put my hands on. This is ultimately why I do what I do. It is a pleasure for me to work for chefs that represent themselves honorably. Ultimately, we aren't saving lives, we are just making the guests day memorable.

This same mentality should also be reflected in the kitchen. The chef should find meaning in implementing strong character into his/her employees. He/she should leave a legacy. This, in my mind, constitutes the quintessential chef. The chef that cares!
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment