Citrus Red Onion Slaw with Grilled Chicken

Want to know a secret? I originally created this recipe with red cabbage. I had it all planned out, with the recipe jotted down. Then I went to prepare it one sunny afternoon, and bam! No red cabbage in the house. How did that happen? I was writing a book, for heaven�s sake. I shouldn�t make those mistakes! But I do. All. The. Time. Why am I telling you about my incompetence? Well, because I want folks to understand that no one is perfect, and sometimes you just have to roll with the punches, be flexible, and think outside the recipe box. I had green cabbage on hand, knew it would taste great, and changed the name accordingly. Voil�! Citrus Red Onion Slaw! Don�t let small hurdles get in your way in the kitchen. Think of a fun way to come up with something new. Oh, and if you�d rather use red cabbage, feel free. It works! For extra flavour you can include the garnishing from tomato avocado salad recipe.

Citrus Red Onion Slaw with Grilled Chicken

SALAD INGREDIENTS 


  • 1 medium head green cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
  • � cup chopped celery
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I like to grill mine)
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • � cup toasted walnuts

DRESSING INGREDIENTS 


  • � cup orange juice
  • 2 TBSP lemon juice
  • 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • � cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • � tsp sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Serves 4


  1. In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
  2. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients. Shake well, and pour it over the salad. Toss to coat.
  3. Store the salad in the refrigerator or a cooler until ready to eat.
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment